dōTERRA® has been part of our life since 2012. While I have always loved their products and used them in our home, it wasn’t until I got my Bachelor’s in alternative medicine and my Master’s in functional nutrition that I truly understood how amazing they are. As we embarked on a medically directed low carb/keto lifestyle this year (see blog post) we realized the MAJOR part that many products played in our new lifestyle and wanted to share with others what has really benefitted us. Let’s talk products first and why you need them, then I will tell you how you can get them. Proper keto food is expensive so let me show you how and where to get your supplements as cheap as possible!
As the popularity of keto continues to grow so does interest in how to optimize health while following this high-fat, low-carb lifestyle. Because keto cuts out a number of food options, it’s a good idea to supplement with specific nutrients. Not to mention, some supplements can help reduce adverse effects of the “keto flu” and even enhance athletic performance when training on a low-carb lifestyle.
1. First and foremost, because keto is a bit restrictive and regardless, our food supply is not as nutritious as it used to be, I REPEAT, YOU NEED TO SUPPLEMENT. dōTERRA’s® Lifelong Vitality Pack (LLV) is our choice. It contains 3 different supplements in one pack: xEO Mega® Essential Oil Omega Complex, Microplex VMz® Food Nutrient Complex, and Alpha CRS®+ Cellular Vitality Complex.
While all the supplements in LLV are crucial to the keto lifestyle, I must highlight the extreme importance of xEO Mega®. Omega-3 supplements can be particularly beneficial for the keto lifestyle, as they can help maintain a healthy omega-3 to omega-6 ratio when following a high-fat diet. What’s more, omega-3 supplements can maximize keto’s impact on overall health. One study showed that people following a ketogenic diet who supplemented with omega-3 fatty acids from krill oil experienced greater decreases in triglycerides, insulin and inflammatory markers than those who did not (1).
One serving of xEO Mega® provides 900 milligrams of pure, micro-filtered marine lipids with 300 mg of EPA, 300 mg of DHA, and 70 mg of other omega-3s. Added to this is 200 mg of plant-based, omega-3 rich, Echium seed oil, along with 50 mg of pomegranate seed oil. Note: Those on blood-thinning medications should consult a doctor before taking omega-3 supplements, as they can increase your risk of bleeding by further thinning your blood. For more info on LLV, click here. If you happen to be doing vegan keto, there is even one designed specifically for you, dōTERRA’s® Vegan Lifelong Vitality Pack. For more info on Vegan LLV, click here.
2. You must have DigestZen TerraZyme® Digestive Enzyme Complex. One of the main complaints of those new to the keto lifestyle is that the high fat content is tough on their digestive system. Since the keto diet may consist of up to 75% fat, those used to consuming diets lower in fat can experience unpleasant gastrointestinal symptoms like occasional nausea and diarrhea.
In addition, though the keto lifestyle is only moderate in protein, it may still be a higher amount than some people are used to, which can also cause digestive side effects.
If you’re experiencing occasional digestive issues like nausea, diarrhea and bloating when transitioning to a keto lifestyle, a digestive enzyme blend that contains enzymes that break down fats (lipases) and proteins (proteases) may help optimize digestion. What's more, proteolytic enzymes, which are enzymes that help break down and digest protein, have been shown to reduce post-workout soreness, which can be a bonus for workout enthusiasts living a keto lifestyle.
Terrazyme® is a proprietary blend of active whole-food enzymes and supporting cofactors that are often deficient in cooked, processed, and preservative-laden foods. Their powerful combination of digestive enzymes supports the body’s constant production of enzymes critical for healthy biochemical functions, including healthy digestion of food nutrients and cellular metabolism of nutrients to energy. They include a variety of whole-food enzymes that help with the digestion of proteins, fats, complex carbohydrates, sugars, and fiber. For more info, click here. Here are the various enzymes it contains and what they do:
Breaks down protein to peptides and amino acids*
Breaks down protein*
Breaks down carbohydrates, starches, and sugars*
Breaks down fats and oils to be absorbed in the intestine*
Breaks down lactose found in milk sugars*
Breaks down complex polysaccharide sugars found in legumes and cruciferous vegetables that can cause bloating and gas. Note: cauliflower is a cruciferous vegetable*
Breaks down fiber to help digest fruits and vegetables*
Breaks down sucrose to fructose and glucose for energy*
Anti-Gluten Enzyme Blend
Assists in breaking down gluten*
Breaks down starch*
3. You need a good probiotic. PB Assist®+ Probiotic Defense Formula is your answer. Your gastrointestinal (GI) tract is approximately 25 feet long and is responsible for digesting and absorbing the nutrients in the foods you eat, while also helping eliminate waste products from your body. Beyond these important functions, your GI tract, particularly the intestines, also performs very important immune functions in the body. A healthy intestinal tract is critical for optimal digestive function and immune system support. For more info, click here.
4. PB Assist® Jr. Sweetened only with xylitol and erythritol, these will be your life saver for sweet cravings. Plus, the packaging makes it super portable (unlike Lily’s chocolate chips-but at home, it is game on). Think keto safe pixie stick! Trust me, you will love me for introducing you to these. The business side of them is that they are a powdered probiotic supplement designed for children or adults who have trouble swallowing pills. It includes 5 billion live cells of a unique blend of six different probiotic strains, specifically selected for their benefits among children. These probiotics have been blended into a delicious powder that can be poured directly into the mouth for a fun and tasty way to integrate probiotics into anyone’s daily routine. For more info, click here.
5. While it shouldn't be used as a replacement for fresh produce, dōTERRA TerraGreens® is a quick and easy way to boost your vegetable and fruit intake. They are a proprietary blend of whole food fruits and vegetables combined with superfruits and dōTERRA CPTG Certified Pure Therapeutic Grade® Essential Oils. It has only 4 net carbs per serving! This powdered mix packs a daily boost of fruits and vegetables into a mix that can be stirred into 8 oz. of liquid for easy and convenient nutritional supplementation. For more info, click here. Increasing vegetable intake is something that everyone should focus on. Vegetables contain a wide variety of vitamins, minerals and powerful plant compounds that can fight inflammation, lower disease risk and help your body function at optimal levels. Though not everyone following keto is necessarily lacking in their vegetable intake, it does make it more difficult to consume enough plant foods.
Stick with me here-this is a long one-but you must know why!
On a ketogenic diet, it may be even more difficult to meet your magnesium needs, as many magnesium-rich foods like beans and fruits are also high in carbs. For these reasons, taking 200–400 mg of magnesium per day may be beneficial. Supplementing with magnesium can help reduce muscle cramps, difficulty sleeping and irritability — all symptoms commonly experienced by those transitioning to a ketogenic lifestyle (AKA “keto flu”).
While LLV does contain Magnesium (150 mg/38% daily value) you may still need to supplement more. For those who want to avoid the hassle of taking pills and the difficulties inherent with poorly tolerated magnesium supplements, Ancient Minerals magnesium bath flakesare my fave! They are a convenient form of magnesium—absorbed by the skin!
Why topical? Skin is the most efficient organ for detoxification and holds tremendous potential for re-mineralizing the body. There are hundreds of peer-reviewed medical studies examining the efficacy of magnesium in a wide range of health enhancing applications, yet not much attention is directed at the method of delivery.
Ancient Minerals magnesium bath flakes are designed for convenient, optimal absorption of magnesium topically. Bypasses the gi tract. No unpleasant laxative effect. In water immersion, the skin’s absorption of the minerals can be considerable, especially with total body immersion.
Unmatched quality: Each batch is produced under stringent GMP, ISO 9001, and ISO 14001 quality control standards, and is analyzed for a wide array of heavy metals and minerals for verification of purity. A certificate of analysis of every lot is available upon request.
TIPS FOR FIRST-TIME USE:
Want to kick it up a notch? Add a few drops of Zendocrine® Detoxification Blendto your soak! It supports the body’s natural ability to rid itself of unwanted substances. This powerful blend combines Rosemary, Cilantro, and Juniper Berry, known for their detoxifying properties and ability to support healthy liver and kidney function, while Tangerine and Geranium have purifying effects against unhealthy substances. Zendocrine helps cleanse the body of toxins and free radicals that can slow the body’s systems down, leaving a heavy, weighted feeling. Besides using for detox soaks, you can add 1-2 drops of Zendocrine to citrus drinks, teas, or water to support healthy liver function. Or, apply to abdomen or bottoms of feet to support the body's natural detoxification system.
For more info on Zendocrine essential oil blend, click here.
Why does supporting your body’s detoxification process matter even more when transitioning to a keto lifestyle? Because you will be transitioning to burning fat as your fuel. During a low-carb or ketogenic diet, the body becomes more efficient at using fat as fuel, a process known as fat adaptation. The drastic reduction in carbs causes a rise in ketones, which are produced in the liver from fatty acids. Ketones can provide energy in the absence of carbs, during a prolonged fast, during long exercise periods or for people with uncontrolled type 1 diabetes. The remaining energy is provided by gluconeogenesis, a process where the body breaks down fats and proteins, converting them into carbs (glucose).
Besides fuel, you know what else all that excess fat stored on your body contains? Toxins. Specifically, persistent organic pollutants (POPs). Unexpected adverse health effects after a weight-loss program have been reported in several studies. The factors that could explain this phenomenon are currently poorly understood. However, one potential factor that has emerged is POPs. Due to their lipophilic nature, POPs are known to accumulate in the adipose (fat) tissue and their concentrations are found to be higher in obese individuals than lean subjects. There is evidence to suggest that weight loss induces a significant increase in POPs levels in the bloodstream (2).
7. We all know that there is no way to avoid keto breath (unless of course, you aren’t keto). Therefore, you will need peppermint beadlets! With Peppermint Oil, Coconut Oil, Palm Oil, Agar, Guar Gum, Glycerin, Sodium Alginate, Carrageenan, and Xylitol as their ingredients, these are a better alternative to many breath fresheners on the market and much stronger.
Through a unique and exclusive process, doTERRA has captured the unique benefits of Peppermint essential oil in the convenience of a soft vegetarian beadlet. Each tiny beadlet delivers a refreshing burst of Peppermint as it dissolves in your mouth, while invigorating your senses as you breathe in the cooling aroma of pure Peppermint essential oil. More than a breath mint, doTERRA Peppermint Beadlets can be used for oral care, respiratory health, digestive comfort, and all other situations in which Peppermint essential oil is used internally. For more info,click here.
8. Slim & Sassy® Metabolic Blend because who doesn’t want to be slim & sassy?
Seriously though, this proprietary metabolic blend combines powerful essential oils known to promote a healthy metabolism when ingested. The flavorful blend helps manage hunger throughout the day while supporting healthy metabolism and promoting a positive mood. It contains Grapefruit, Lemon, Peppermint, Ginger, and Cinnamon. When taken with a healthy eating and exercise plan, it can help you reach your weight management goals. Best part is, it is diuretic-, stimulant-, and carb-free! As an added bonus, Slim and Sassy can be applied to problem areas (cellulite, flabby skin, etc.) to improve the look of your skin. Add a few drops to eitherfractionated coconut oil or dōTERRA’s spa lotion and apply to problem areas. For more info, click here.
9. dōTERRA DigestZen® Touch. At some point and time, you are going to lose your ever-loving mind and reach for some store-bought keto treat or make your own and maybe, just maybe there is a bit too much sugar alcohol that leaves you in abdominal distress. Instead of waving the white flag of surrender, simply whip out this magical little roller and make circles around your belly button. Then, hold it up to your nose and take a few slow breaths. The essential oils of Anise, Peppermint, Ginger, Caraway, Coriander, Tarragon, and Fennel are known for their ability to ease the effects of motion sickness and stomach upset when inhaled or applied topically.
10. Last but certainly not least, you will need to drink tons of water. Plain water can get blah very quickly. dōTERRA has several oils that can be used to flavor water with nothing added. You must use either a glass or stainless-steel container with citrus oils. All dōTERRA essential oils with the FDA supplement facts label may be used internally. The ones we use most are: grapefruit, green mandarin, lemon, lime, peppermint, Slim & Sassy, spearmint, tangerine, and wild orange.
We just sent you an email. Please click the link in the email to confirm your subscription!